Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Thru the Bible

You may be surprised to hear this, but for the first time in my life, I have read through the entire Bible in a year. I imagine you are surprised because, as you know, I am a Pastor. As a breed of humans we are supernatural and do all things well. We never sin, always have the right answers to every problem, and are available whenever you need us. Of course, none of this is true, except me finishing the Bible this last year.

I am really excited about being able to do this. In the past I tried and tried and would always lose ground, get behind and give up. Well, this last year I started again and it seemed much easier. I don't think it was due to me being more spiritual this year than years past or related to the promise I made to God to get r done. The big thing for me was the format of the Bible reading. Ya, that simple. Let me explain.

In years past, I would read several chapters each day starting in Genesis and just keep reading. The problem was when you got to Leviticus and the books that follow. Man, all that Law and chronology was harder to stomach than back to back episodes of Dancing with the Stars. It just wore on me day after day until I couldn't read anymore. I admit it, I am weak. Then I came across www.bible-reading.com. This handy-dandy website has a bible reading program that was great! Yah, you still have to read first and second chronicles, but only for one day. The next day you are in an entirely different portion and genre of scripture, reading about a battle, healing or teaching. Props to Jessica Sliter for connecting me to this great website and bible reading plan.

Do you have a plan? I change mine up every year so I don't get bored. Last year it was thru the Bible in a year. Next year, I am going to pour through the Book of Romans. Each day I want to pick apart a few verses in the original language and try to really understand this book for reasons I will mention later in another blog. I also have this book, A Passion for God, that has thoughts, meditations and prayers on Romans. Next year, it will probably be something different.

I would argue that one of the biggest reason we as men are so ineffective at home, on the job, in the church, is because we do not know the God we claim to serve. And how can we know Him apart from His word? If we do not know Him, how can we know ourselves? He is our Creator and knows best how we are designed to function. And He has written it all down for us to know as well. Not reading His word and hoping to make it in this life is like you trying to put together that indoor trampoline for your kids that you got them this Christmas with no instruction manual. Good luck! It will be a mess, with frustration, heart ache and pain. You will let your family down, feel like a failure and just end up chucking the thing ( can you tell what my kids got for Christmas?). Of course, I am not talking about the trampoline. These things are true of the Christian life lived apart from the Word.

I hope you get a plan. One that really challenges you, doesn't just keep you in the status quo of life. Get a plan that changes your mind, enforces discipline, and helps you understand and appreciate The Master's Plan for your life. Don't just get frustrated and chuck the manual and life you could live with a little hard work and trust in the Master Designer. If you need help let me know...

No comments:

Post a Comment