Wednesday, January 7, 2009

All Dogs go to Heaven

This is not a theological statement of belief, rather the culmination of many years of prayers.

Tonight, my daughter became a follower of the Living God. God saved her! Her asthma has been terrible again and tonight we were watching the movie, All Dogs go to Heaven. At one part, the main character gets a trip to Hell where he encounters lakes of fire, and the Devil himself. This gave me a good opportunity to talk with Madison about Hell (not the first conversation we have had about that place or the main resident, Satan). At first she was unphased, but after we put her to bed, she came out all crying and fearful of the Devil. This was a great opportunity to explain to her my own fears about the Evil One's work in my life and how I do not fear ultimately because I am a Christian and Christians do not need to fear him (Matthew 10:28-29). Knowing that she was not a Christian (by her own admission), I took the opportunity to ask her if she was ready.

Now at this point you may be shaking your head thinking I used scare tactics with my 6 year old. I did. But I think this kind of fear is healthy, truth filled fear (Luke 16). Understand too that this was not the first time we had shared the gospel with Madison. We have taken over a dozen chances to stop life and explain Jesus, the cross, heaven, hell, etc. Each time when we have asked if Madison wanted to accept Jesus, she would say no. What a knife in the heart of a father! I have led dozens of people to Christ with one conversation, but can't lead my daughter with a dozen.

Kylie and I have always lamented that there is a spiritual hardness of heart with Madison, a quiet rebellion. We prayed that it would be the love of God which drew her to Himself. But in this case, it was His justice. His justice was the hammer that broke up hard ground. She has always prayed, sang songs of worship and talked freely of Jesus, but resisted taking the step her family and many friends have taken. Not that night.

She prayed and asked God to forgive her of her sins towards mommy, daddy, Avery and God. She asked for His help and healing. Now, is she really saved? I don't know, really. That will be born out in the fruit she bears as a follower of the Light or the darkness (Matthew 7). But I trust the Word when it says that we must believe like children (Matthew 18) and confess with our mouths (Romans 10). I'll leave it up to God. it always was up to Him.

Thought I would share my "good news".

No comments:

Post a Comment